The ACTR Russian Scholar Laureate Award
The American Council of Teachers of Russian designates ACTR Russian Scholar Laureates each school year. Every school where Russian is taught may designate one outstanding sophomore or junior for this award. Students in other years are not eligible, and there can be only one award per school. Any school that has more than 100 students studying Russian may nominate two students.
1. The nominee must be a tenth- or eleventh-grade student of Russian language in a high school in the United States during the academic year of the award;
2. A principal or headmaster must nominate the student and certify his or her eligibility;
3. The nomination documents must include:
The student’s Russian teacher should complete an electronic application-nomination. The nomination must be complete and received not later than June 30 each year. Only electronic nominations are accepted.
The Russian Scholar Laureate from each school receives:
- The student receives a letter in October;
- The date of receiving an award depends on the time of publication of ACTR newsletter:
The award announcement will include the student’s photo, name, school, and Russian teacher’s name. The student’s address will not be made public but is needed for possible correspondence.
There is no fee for participation, but teachers must be current members of the American Council of Teachers of Russian by decision of the ACTR Board of Directors in May 2009.
Encourage your school administrator to nominate a student. Feel free to contact the Chair if there are any questions. Nominations for this award will be acknowledged promptly.
Questions? Suggestions? Complaints?
Contact Natasha Ushakova,
ACTR Russian Scholar Laureate Award
Staten Island Tech High School
485 Clawson Str. Staten Island, NY 10306